Elvis' estate rejected use of his music for Sofia Coppola's movie 'Priscilla'

Coppola's movie based on Priscilla Presley's 'Elvis and Me' memoir is due later in 2023.


I guess Elvis Presley's estate has a right to accept or reject any requests they get to use Elvis' music for movies. But what they shouldn't do is call another artist's work sophomoric when the people who run the estate likely have no idea what they are talking about. And Sofia Coppola is handling the whole thing with class.

Coppola directed Priscilla, which is due to hit theaters October 27, 2023. The movie is based on Priscilla Presley's memoir, Elvis and Me. Priscilla, of course, was the only wife Elvis had, though he did reportedly have many women in his life over the years. Priscilla is also the mother of Elvis' only child, Lisa Marie, and Lisa Marie passed away suddenly earlier this year.

As far as the movie itself, Priscilla Presley has posted on social media how much she admitted Sofia Coppola and feels the movie will be excellently done. That means with or without Elvis Presley's music. And even though one member of Elvis's estate bashed the film.

Elvis Presley estate rejected request to use his music for Priscilla film

Elvis Presley's family only owns about 15 percent of his estate. The Authentic Brands Group owns the other 85 percent. They likely rake in tons of money, so protecting the Elvis brand is extremely important and keeps them wealthy.

According to TMZ, one estate official who supposedly saw the film called Coppola's directing "horrible" and said the film "feels like a college movie." Mind you, Sofia Coppola has directed such excellent films as Lost in Translation, Marie Antoinette, and On the Rocks. She's been nominated for Oscars and BAFTAs and has a really good idea what she is doing when directing films.

As far as the official of the Elvis estate who criticized Coppola, I am going to go out on a limb and say thewy have no idea what they are speaking about. Plus, Coppola did them one better.

Coppola, who stated a request was made to use Elvis' music for the film and was turned down while the estate says they never received the request (seems doubtful they wouldn't have received the request), says she understands the estate not allowing the use of the music. Coppola said, "They don’t like projects that they haven’t originated, and they’re protective of their brand." Good for Coppola for taking the high road.

Other music news and analysis